Monday, April 30, 2007

Sofonisba Anguissola.

I love learning new stuff. Like who the first successful woman artist of the Renaissance is. She is like..my new hero. She studied painting, created her own unique style, was freaking friends with Michelangelo(!!!!), went to Spain and became a court painter to the king (and gave the queen painting lessons!), and was internationaly known...and well, awesome.

here's her self portrait. (and another...and one more) She was restricted to doing portraits mainly, since women were barred from studying anatomy and the nude figure. But she did several self portraits, and I'm totally digging this quote about her I found in my art history book, "there is nothing I desire more than an image of the artist herself, so that in a single work I can exhibit two marvels, one the work, the other the artist" --Annibale Carro.

So yes, I'm hoping that procrastination in the form of being an art history nerd is acceptable when I'm really supposed to be writing my mega art history paper of doom!! (actually, it's not that bad, I have 2 pages written...I'm just unhappy with the timing of this week) But yes! Maybe I'll post some art tomorrow after I re-work my second conte portrait. Until then..ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home